Tuesday, May 2, 2017

On The Road Again!

April 2016


In an earlier post I said I would tell you why we would be reminded of how lucky we are to be able to travel like this every time we check into an RV Park. I’ll explain now. When you check into a park they almost always ask you what your license plate is.
We finally got ours!
 And no, it does not mean licky stairs as someone who shall remain nameless thought. I tried different 7 digit combinations before I came up with this.
I was hoping to get one for our trailer that says LKY STRS but I found out South Dakota trailer licenses have to start with T and can’t be personalized.
I was inspired by the Jimmy Buffett song LUCKY STARS.
Yes I am a Parrot Head!

When we left family and friends in Southern California I knew I’d be sad so I thought going to someplace awesome would help. There’s not many places more awe inspiring than the Grand Canyon so we decided to head that direction. We don’t travel hundreds of miles a day like we did when our travel time was limited so I found this little place called
Route 66 Golden Shores RV Park in Topock, AZ.
It was a cute little, affordable place with very nice owners, driving distance to a couple of interesting places and would split up the miles a bit.
Doesn't look like much but it had a fenced dog run and was nice!

One of the places within driving distance was Oatman, AZ. We’d been there with my parents when the girls were little but I wanted to go again. Who doesn’t love a ghost town?
Fun thing about Oatman: wild burrows are everywhere!

He wasn't as impressed with us as I was with him!

The dogs weren’t really sure what to make of them. Jackson was quite sure they were vicious monsters that he had to protect us from! We were warned by a local that the burrows had no patience for noisy little dogs. He said they were not afraid and more than capable of stomping my puppy to death. For the most part we avoided the burrows. But Jackson thought it would be awesome to roll around in their dried up poop.
Heads up: dried up burrow poop stinks!

Oatman is made to look like an old west town. They even have an old west shootout staged. They have board sidewalks and a lot of cute little shops.
One of the dining establishments in Oatman

It was a warm day so we decided some ice cream would hit the spot. Larry found an out of the way bench to sit on with the dogs while I went to get the refreshments. When I came out he had moved and was looking extremely exasperated.

While I was in the shop a large group of bikers came walking down the walkway. They were dressed in all the gear bikers need to stay safe on the road. Jackson was quite sure, like the burrows they were vicious monsters that he had to protect us from! Without warning he lunged out at one of them and grabbed a hold of his chaps! Larry was embarrassed and a little afraid the angry looking biker was going to punch him in the face! The guy turned around with a look that did not alleviate Larry’s fear, then looked down at what had grabbed him and just started laughing! Larry apologized, and crossed the street trying to avoid other tourists, burrows and burrow poop.


We ate our ice cream, tried to wash off Jackson as best we could and left Oatman, AZ.

The adventure continues!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Larry and I decided to retire and hit the road. We bought a new 5th Wheel and new truck to pull it. We packed up the dogs and we're heading out to check off that bucket list. We wake up every morning and "Thank Our Lucky Stars" that we get to do this.