Thursday, May 25, 2017

An Idyllic Setting: Perfect for a Stephen King Horror Story!

September 2016


Another state with really nice State Parks is Iowa!
A little too idyllic for me though! We passed through a town that completely freaked me out!
EVERY house was freshly painted.
EVERY lawn was perfectly manicured.
EVERY white picket fence was… well you get the idea.
The children all looked like something out of Leave It To Beaver!
I kept expecting a nasty looking clown to jump out at us!

When we got to the park it was picture perfect! The trees, the flowers, everything.
Except for one thing: there was not an animal to be found! Not a deer, not a chipmunk or squirrel. No birds. Not even a fly or mosquito!
It was weird!
 
The flowers were beautiful!

 The sunset was beautiful!





EVERYTHING WAS BEAUTIFUL!
IT WAS STILL WEIRD! 



Larry and I took the dogs for a little walk around the campground and a neighbor I had spoken with previously waved! We waved back and their Golden Retriever growled, snapped its leash, actually snapped it, and took off after Jackson! A fricken’ Golden Retriever! I’ve never in my life seen a vicious Golden Retriever! Jackson usually barks at big dogs but when he saw Cujo coming after him he tried to run. He ended up wrapping himself around Larry who couldn’t pick him up because his legs were all tied up! I tried to hold on to Jenny and kept screaming! Jenny, who is sometimes very bossy with Jackson, took off after the Golden! She’s the only one who gets to go after her brother. She was going to stop that dog if it killed her! The owner jumped up right away and tried to get his dog under control! He finally succeeded and apologized all over the place! Larry and I were able to pick up Jackson and Jenny. Other than being terrified and shaking both dogs were okay. The owner told us the dog was a recent rescue and had been abused by it’s former owner! The poor guy spent a lot of time in a shelter because he just snapped at everyone who came near him. These people were the only ones he seemed to tolerate so they took him home. They felt so bad about what happened but honestly after hearing the rescue story I’m just glad they found each other. Well, that and the fact that he didn't hurt my babies! The dog may never be safe around kids and other animals but at least he has someone who loves him and takes good care of him now. And they never have to worry about being robbed while that dog is around!

Then it was off to more Iowa State Parks and more Stephen Kingish excitement!




 Lovely Iowa Farms!






Sunset over a lovely Iowa Lake!


Maybe we shouldn't have named the truck Christine!
























We got to another park right by a lake! Gorgeous, nice neighbors and BIRDS!
Lots of birds. No it wasn’t like the Hitchcock movie!
It was just really enjoyable to sit and watch all the different kinds of birds soaring over the lake!
I was sitting on the couch at the back of Stella, petting the dogs and watching a flock of pelicans fly by the window when a small boat went by very close to shore. The lake was a popular fishing spot so I didn’t think anything of it until they went by again a few minutes later going the opposite direction. They went by a third time and this time I noticed their “fishing pole” was actually a stick that they were poking in to the lake’s edge. Larry came in at that moment and I said, “Are they looking for a body?” The look on his face told me I was right! He’d just been chatting with some of our neighbors and found out a 62 year old man in their party had gone out for a walk the night before and never came back! Larry told me about the giant command center they set up. I looked out our kitchen window and saw a giant red RV with "Command Center" written on the side and lots of other emergency vehicles and people walking around in a site just across the road from us. I posted on Facebook about what was going on and again my friend Maxye came in with some answers a few minutes later. She told me the man had been found 5 miles away in a neighboring town and he was fine. No explanation as to what happened. Sure enough I looked out the window and the command center was breaking down and leaving! I was in Iowa; Maxye was in Kentucky! I asked her how she knew what was happening. She Googled it!
 
Another day, another adventure! Never a dull moment on the road!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Larry and I decided to retire and hit the road. We bought a new 5th Wheel and new truck to pull it. We packed up the dogs and we're heading out to check off that bucket list. We wake up every morning and "Thank Our Lucky Stars" that we get to do this.