Thursday, May 11, 2017

Caves Are AWESOME!!!

May 2016


May was another pretty busy month for us! After discovering a National Park we weren’t familiar with we went on to another park we’d never been to but was definitely on the old bucket list! Ever since visiting Crystal Cave in Sequoia when I was a kid I’ve wanted to see Carlsbad Cavern! What’s weird is, I’m extremely claustrophobic in some situations. But not in caves! I love caves! Explain that!

The elevator down to the bottom was out of order so we had to hike the whole way down. I’m actually kind of glad. It was a long difficult hike (especially up) but there’s a lot to see on the way down. The pictures are a bit dark and grainy because… CAVE! But I couldn’t stop taking them! This is just a sampling.



    






Stalactites hang from the ceiling like icicles.
Stalagmites look like they're coming up from
the ground and stand up like a traffic cone.









Columns are what happens if the 2 meet.







They call this the Shy Elephant





I really felt I owed myself this shirt!


Our plan was to see the cave, go back to the trailer, then come back for the spectacular bat show! Alas, a nasty wind storm came up and our RV spot was directly under a giant tree with lots of limbs that we didn’t want crashing down on us. So instead of seeing thousands of bats flying out of the cave we opted to move the rig to a saver spot giving us an excuse to go back and visit Carlsbad! Like you need an excuse for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Larry and I decided to retire and hit the road. We bought a new 5th Wheel and new truck to pull it. We packed up the dogs and we're heading out to check off that bucket list. We wake up every morning and "Thank Our Lucky Stars" that we get to do this.