Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Flaming Gorge, Fossil Butte and the JC Penney Home Store


Still June 2016 but on to Wyoming


Just across the Utah border into Wyoming is the Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area. Coming over the hill and seeing Flaming Gorge is breathtaking!



I suppose there are cameras that capture the deep gorgeous red of the cliffs. My little camera/phone is not one of them!


 Flaming Gorge is a nice, restful place. The scenery was beautiful, they had a nice little bike trail, and the neighbors were friendly. And by neighbors I mean the Pronghorn! They were all over the place. We were riding our bikes on a trail surrounded by tall grass and they just popped up! Scared the hell out of me but it was kind of awesome. I took the dogs for a walk and they’d pop up and scare the bark out of the dogs!




We learned in

The Grand Tetons 

that they are called 

Pronghorns.

They are not antelope! 





 

The flowers were just gorgeous!



From there we went to an RV Park called Hams Fork. Turns out it was a patch of ground behind the Hams Fork restaurant. It was a decent place to spend a couple of days. There was a small river and large pond or small lake, I’m not sure, nearby with a nice little walking path that made for a very pleasant evening stroll.
Geese beside the river


 


While we were there we went into Fossil Butte National Monument. They had a really cool little museum and a gorgeous picnic area. 
On the path up to the Museum they had signs
that told you what lived in the area at different times.
Ever seen the Tremors movies? This sign made me snicker. 

I always have to get the turtle pictures!
As we were grabbing our stuff to walk down to the picnic area we saw a family practically running out on a different path. Larry was afraid they’d seen a mountain lion. There were warning signs about them. We set up for lunch but kept a wary eye open. Before we could even unpack our sandwiches we found out what they were running from! It wasn’t a mountain lion it was the biggest most vicious flock of mosquitoes I’ve ever seen! And I say flock because they were HUGE! I had pants and a long sleeve sweatshirt on but was covered in bites before I could get back to the car. Larry must have bitter blood or something because they NEVER bite him! We ate lunch in the car and took the drive up the hill. It was a nice day despite the bugs!



 Such a beautiful place!
Too bad the mosquitoes claimed the picnic ground before us!




Some women buy their “unmentionables” at Victoria’s Secret. I prefer JC Penney myself. I told Larry we had to find one. I checked Google and discovered there was one in Kemmerer, WY, the town we were staying in! I don’t really know why they add on that extra er because they call it Kemmer. Anyway… turns out it was the JC Penney “Mother Store”! The very first one! How cool is that! I bought what I went in there for and a souvenir shirt!

My "Mother Store" souvenir T-Shirt

2 comments:

  1. A lot of great pictures Sherry. The J.C. Penney store looked almost exactly the same in my Grandmother's town of Auburn, Indiana. Having lived in Chicago where the stores were grown much larger, as a child I got a big hoot out going into the smaller one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was pretty cute! I'm used to the bigger ones too!

      Delete

About Me

My photo
Larry and I decided to retire and hit the road. We bought a new 5th Wheel and new truck to pull it. We packed up the dogs and we're heading out to check off that bucket list. We wake up every morning and "Thank Our Lucky Stars" that we get to do this.