Monday, July 3, 2017

Retracing Our Steps

April 2017

Thinking back it was probably a mistake to head north after we left SoCal. We knew we were going to head south for Spring Break then back north to the Pacific Northwest after that. Back and forth is not the most efficient way to do things. Oh well… you know what they say about hindsight! At least we got to meet up with our new friends again and not take pictures again. 😏 Anyway after the Grand Canyon we headed back to the same parks we had come through to get to Sedona. With a few exceptions. We stayed in Beatty, NV instead of Tonopah, NV, only a slight improvement. And, on the recommendation of Bob, a gentleman we met at Ghost Mountain, we headed to Smith, NV to stay at the Walker River Resort! He raved about this place! If we ever meet up with him again I’ll have to ask him why. The park wasn’t too bad except it’s pretty much a biker and ATV rider haven. We are neither. The bikers and ATV riders came in with their very loud machines very late at night. Some of them did anyway. Some got up at the crack of dawn with their very loud machines. They couldn't have gotten together on that?
There was this lovely ranch full of cattle just over the hill from us.
It was lovely anyway until evening anyway, when the wind changed direction!
WhewwwwEeeeee! It was stinky!
Really the best thing about Walker River Resort as far as I was concerned was this awesome tree!







We did have a nice little picnic at Topaz Lake while we were there!











We had one more stop in California before we hit Oregon! Honey Lake Campground sounds like such a lovely place doesn’t it? When I went to make a reservation the guy was so nice and friendly! He said, “Oh we don’t take reservations, but don’t worry, in 20 years I’ve never been full!” You’d think that would have been a good clue huh? Honey Lake campground overlooks Honey Lake!
I’ve never actually seen a lake the color of honey before!










Yeah... that's not sand. That's a lake!






I asked one of the residences of the place, a really nice guy whose name escapes me, if the lake always looked like that. He said, “Oh no! At sunset you can sit here and watch the water turn blue!” I was skeptical but sure enough as the sun started going down over the mountains behind me the lake in front of me started changing color.
I don’t know that I’d call the new color blue but it was pretty cool to watch!


 At least Jackson enjoyed the ride!

He likes this life of adventure!


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Larry and I decided to retire and hit the road. We bought a new 5th Wheel and new truck to pull it. We packed up the dogs and we're heading out to check off that bucket list. We wake up every morning and "Thank Our Lucky Stars" that we get to do this.