Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Visiting The Ancestors

July 2017

While we were in Nebraska visiting family we decided to go out and visit ancestors as well. Larry and I, his brother Steve, their cousin Julie and her granddaughter Dakota drove out to the Zastrow Cemetery in Cordova, NE to visit the grave of their Great Grandfather, Jens F. Jensen. 


I noticed a lot of graves had names like Jens Jensen and Lars Larsen and Peter Petersen. I just thought their parents weren’t particularly creative in the name department but my brother-in-law told me about a show he saw on the History Channel where people came to Ellis Island with names that were hard to pronounce by the people registering them so they simplified matters.
So Nohr, Villum or Laurits might become Jens or Lars. Jens was a Norwegian immigrant so no telling what his name actually was.




After Cordova we drove out to the Johnson Creek Cemetery in Friends, NE to visit the grave of Marie Jensen, Jens’s wife and their Great-Grandmother. The couple was buried in 2 different cemeteries in 2 different towns, a controversy still, in the Jensen family. It seems Marie was married to a man named Andrew Larsen first. He died and left her a widow with 2 young children when she was only 33. She remarried Jens Jensen a few years later, had several more children, including Larry’s Grandfather. She lived a long and by all accounts, happy life with Jens. When she died her 2 oldest children insisted that she be buried with their father, her fist husband. The worst part for the Jensen clan was they had her buried as Marie Larsen even though she was Mrs. Jensen for most of her life. Apparently no one ever asked poor Marie what her wishes were. Someone, no one knows who and no one is taking responsibility, took it upon him or herself to correct the gravestone. At least they did a professional looking job… sort of.
Note the Jensen added at the bottom left.

Two things struck me as I walked through the cemeteries. First: in the Zastrow Cemetery it seemed as though half the people buried there are Jensens! Where I come from I frequently have to tell people how to spell it, they always want to put and “o” at the end. I read somewhere that the most common sir name in NE is Jensen so it seems right to have so many gravestones with that name on it. But it was a bit disconcerting for me. It kinda felt that they were all grabbing at me, trying to get me to join them.
 











The second thing I noticed, which you might have too from the pictures I’ve already posted were the number of infant and small children who were buried in both cemeteries. It kind of broke my heart. In one corner of the Johnson Creek Cemetery there were 4 small graves, all siblings and only 2 of them had their lifetime overlap! This poor woman had a baby, he died, then she had another baby, he died, then she had another baby, 4 years later had another baby and 2 years after that both little girls died! I can’t even imagine living with that kind of grief! A dear friend told me a man told her that it wasn’t like today. He said parents just didn’t get attached to their children until they were around 5 years old and had a better chance of living! Well that’s just total crap! No way do I believe that! Loosing a child has got to be the worst thing! As a mom my heart went out to that mom who lived so long ago who I didn’t even know!
 











Getting in touch with their roots!







The day was hot and humid so we decided to stop off at a little bar in Cordova and quench our thirst. The original Cordova jail is still standing right next to the bar. That must have been convenient for the local sheriff.


After the visit with the Ancestors we went back to Kerry’s in McCool Junction to meet up with a whole bunch of live Jensens! There were cousins and Aunts and Uncles galore! Some I had met, some not. Most of them Larry hadn’t seen for a very long time! The room was loud with conversation, laughter, and love!




I know the pictures aren’t the normal gorgeous scenery shots I normally post
but I hope you find this interesting!

Remember if you’re enjoying our journey press the follow button at the bottom
or leave us a message!

2 comments:

  1. I love walking through cemeteries so I enjoyed the tour of Larry's ancestry. It is a myth about Ellis Island officials giving immigrants changed or different names. The majority of immigrants in earlier times were often illiterate and could not speak English. That combined with the accents of their fatherland often made it difficult for Immigration Officials to determine proper spellings. They did use interpreters when available. Secondly Jens Jensen was more than likely your husband's ancestor's name. In Scandinavian countries surnames were patronymic. They are the father's first name with son or daughter at the end. Jens was actually named for his father so his first name is Jens and his surname is Jensen or "son of Jens." A daughter would have been named Anna Jensdatter or Anna, "daughter of Jens." They may have also had a middle Christian name that was just unrecorded. Another naming custom was to use what were called "farm" names. In my family my great grandmother was Oliane dofter Stene. Dofter Stene being a farm name. In earlier centuries most Norwegians lived on farms, and each farm had a name. A few hundred years ago all the farms were listed in a land register ('matrikkel' in Norwegian). Some of these names are a thousand years old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so interesting! Thanks so much for posting!

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
Larry and I decided to retire and hit the road. We bought a new 5th Wheel and new truck to pull it. We packed up the dogs and we're heading out to check off that bucket list. We wake up every morning and "Thank Our Lucky Stars" that we get to do this.