Friday, August 18, 2017

Life in Nebraska

July 2017


Larry grew up in Nebraska. While he’s been gone for 35 years the way of life here is something he’s used to. Me? Not so much. For one thing they call lunch, dinner and dinner, supper. Small thing I know but it takes some getting used to. Also there are water towers and grain elevators everywhere! For many towns their water tower is a symbol of town pride! The York water tower is pretty cool!

They even have little replicas of it all over town!
Here are just 2 of them!








Also there are Ns everywhere you look! If there’s a Nebraskan out there who doesn’t own a red shirt with a big N on it, I haven’t met them yet.


This is Gloria. We'd never met but she saw me typing this and asked what I was doing. I explained about the blog I was writing and she was nice enough to let me take a picture of her shirt!


Even the rocks have Ns on them.

The food they eat here is different too! I’ve never heard of corn casserole before, but I made some! It was basically macaroni and cheese with corn in it. I made cheese sauce from scratch, which I’d never done and used fresh sweet corn! It was pretty tasty! I learned that they put flour in pre-shredded cheese so it doesn’t stick together. If you want your cheese sauce creamy you have to shred fresh cheese yourself. Also it helps if you use sharp cheddar or the taste gets washed out with the other ingredients. I can't believe I forgot to take a picture of the finished product!
They like to put bacon in everything here too. That I’m not crazy about. They put bacon in their salad! But the fresh veggies people keep giving me are pretty awesome! I made zucchini boats!
 







This was after I ate one!
And fresh tomatoes in a salad and a BLT (with fake bacon) is the best!

Apparently they also put sugary cereal on sugary donuts too!

One thing that is amazing and beautiful is the evening lightning bug ballet we get to watch. Sorry, no pictures of that. But for a few magical days we were in the middle of a Painted Lady Butterfly migration! Every time I took the dogs for a walk they would fly round and round me.
I felt like I was in a Disney cartoon!

Look carefully! Here are just a few that stayed still long enough for a picture.
There were hundreds of them.

And speaking of Disney cartoons this guy sits on the street in Bradshaw, NE.
How cute is he?



They also have a lot of old houses around. This one is down the street from us! 
I've already got a haunted house story in mind for my next book!




The best part of visiting here is seeing family. 
Aunt Marge is a delight and Cousin George was fun!


It's always great to visit Larry's brother Steve!
The puppies even became friends with their Cousin Chai.

Yep, life in Nebraska is different from my growing up years in Southern California
but experiencing it is all part of the adventure!
The new mural celebrating York, NE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Larry and I decided to retire and hit the road. We bought a new 5th Wheel and new truck to pull it. We packed up the dogs and we're heading out to check off that bucket list. We wake up every morning and "Thank Our Lucky Stars" that we get to do this.