Monday, August 14, 2017

A Nebraska Fourth!

July 2017

I’m actually writing a July 2017 post in July 2017, of course with our questionable Wi-Fi, it probably won’t get posted until August, but I AM writing it in July!
Have you ever seen The Croods, a non-Disney, cartoon about a prehistoric family? If you haven’t, I recommend it. It’s pretty cute. Anyway… there’s a scene in the movie where giant ears of corn catch on fire and burst into popped kernels and explode in the sky like fireworks! I was half expecting that for our fourth! We gathered in a small parking lot, on the third. I’m still not clear on that one. And tailgated it with a bunch of family to watch the York Community Fourth (on the third) of July celebration! The fields close to us were just grass, which made for a magical lightening-bug ballet before the actual fireworks started. But in Nebraska you’re never far from a field of corn. Turns out there were just traditional fireworks (not giant popping corn) that is if it’s your tradition to watch Fourth of July Fireworks on the third!

Family and fireworks is a great way to celebrate our country’s birthday!
Even if it was a day early!





That broken off branch way at the top, was there                Our neighbors all had lots of 4th of July
  last year! It's still there! I can't figure out what                 decorations so we figured we should too!
      it broke off of or how it stays up there!










This is a cicada exuviae. The cicada is gone but it leaves this. They're all over the place in Nebraska in July. My new friends Jaley and Joslyn showed me how to wear them like jewelry!
These are my new friends Jaley and Joslyn!


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Larry and I decided to retire and hit the road. We bought a new 5th Wheel and new truck to pull it. We packed up the dogs and we're heading out to check off that bucket list. We wake up every morning and "Thank Our Lucky Stars" that we get to do this.