Friday, August 25, 2017

Hearing Aids, Fishing Poles and TMJ!

July 2017

Hearing aids have been a part of my life for over 10 years.
When I lived in a house without wheels I would take them to my awesome audiologist Dr. Ellen Baker every few months to have them cleaned. Being on the road makes that a little difficult. Once a year I visit Dr. Ellen but in between time my hearing aids get kind of nasty. Not to mention the fact that they don’t work as well dirty. I thought any audiologist could clean them but that wasn’t the case. It has to be someone who caries my particular kind. I found a possible office but it was an hour’s drive away and we didn’t want to drive all the way there just to find out they couldn’t do it.
I contacted Dr. Ellen, she sent them all the information they needed to determine if they had the equipment necessary. They did. We went. Hearing aids cleaned!
YAY! Thank you Dr. Ellen and CompleteHearing!



Bonus!


Dr. Sandra Miller of Complete Hearing started talking with us about our traveling lifestyle. We mentioned our up coming epic fishing plans in Northern Minnesota. She told us about a nearby tackle shop with incredible fishing supplies run by a man who actually knew what he was talking about regarding fishing.
We decided to visit Wolf Tackle Shop and see what they had. I’ve never owned my own fishing pole and Larry’s fishing equipment is older than our marriage. We walked out of Wolf’s with 2 new fishing poles and enough tackle to catch some of the legendary walleye Minnesota is famous for! Plus enough enthusiasm to make it through the last few days of Nebraska cornfields. (Sorry Nebraskans but staying in one place this long was starting to get to us.)

 I've also been living with TMJD (temporomandibular joint disorder) for years now. The clicking in my jaw was annoying but not particularly painful. I wear a night guard that’s supposed to help but for a couple of months now I’ve been waking up with my jaws clamped shut! The first time it happened I freaked out a little, wondering how I was going to get my mouth open. I tried to gently pry it open but it wouldn’t budge. I braced myself and yanked it apart. It hurt for a minute but them seemed fine. Then it started happening when I chewed. I’d be eating, I’d feel a sharp pain in my jaw and it’d be stuck! I was told years ago that other than a night guard there wasn’t much they could do about TMJD. I went to the dentist for a check up recently and she told me not to yank it open anymore. She showed me how to gently push my lower jaw back and open. But she said most importantly I should see a physical therapist who specialized in the jaw. I didn’t even know there was such a thing! She gave me a number to call, I made an appointment and went to see him. He gave me these awesome high tech exercise devises and showed me how to use them! I noticed a difference right away! I do the exercises in the morning before breakfast, again before lunch, and if I remember before dinner (or as mid-westerners say: supper) It hardly ever even clicks anymore and I haven’t woke up with my mouth stuck shut for weeks! If you’re living with TMJD, especially if it’s painful, find a physical therapist who specializes in the jaw and go! It’s so worth it!


My fancy, hi-tech exercise equipment. 
I put the clothespin (rubber tip side back in my molars and open and clothes my mouth)
The clothes pin puts my jaw at the right angle.
I put the tongue depressors in my mouth, bite down and make my jaw go back and forth.

Don't do this on your own. The therapist shows you where your jaw needs to be depending on your problem.



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Larry and I decided to retire and hit the road. We bought a new 5th Wheel and new truck to pull it. We packed up the dogs and we're heading out to check off that bucket list. We wake up every morning and "Thank Our Lucky Stars" that we get to do this.