Sunday, August 13, 2017

Bad Ass Deer!

June 2017

Sometimes rest stops along the highway are more interesting than the RV Parks we stay at! We found one such stop on a highway in Wyoming! The rest stop features Independence Rock! The landmark rock marks the midway point along the Oregon, Mormon and California Trails! The pioneers knew if they made it to the rock by Independence Day they would likely reach the end of their journey before snowfall! I love learning about the history of our country as we travel.

Climbing the rock would have been fun but we needed to make it to our next stop,
Deer Creek Village RV Park in Glenrock, WY before dark.









When we got to the park a beautiful little doe greeted us. She seemed quite tame. I wasn’t sure if she was the park pet or a wild creature that just liked to hang out there.
We learned from the park owner it was the latter. 

It was a nice little park in a nice little town. A group of wild turkeys also liked to hang out there and we learned from a group of Girl Scouts who were tenting there that a porcupine also visited the park.
We didn’t see him!

The dogs got used to seeing wild life from the trailer window but I tried not to take them out when the wild animals were around. Our last morning there I took them out to do their thing at 8 AM. I saw the deer ½ way across the park but the dogs hadn’t noticed her yet. I was hoping they’d finish and we’d get back to the trailer before they did but Jackson saw her. She was enjoying her breakfast grass. Her head popped up when he started barking at her. I said, “Don’t worry deer, I won’t let him hurt you.” She looked at us for a second then took off running… toward us! Jenny tried to take off toward the trailer, Jackson looked as surprised as I was and stopped barking. The doe stopped. I started backing up toward the trailer.
Jackson started barking again and she ran at us again!
I scooped him up, took Jenny’s lead and headed for the trailer!
I told the owner about it later. He said she frequently goes up to campers and lets them pet her but he’d never heard of her doing that. He laughed and said, “I would’ve like to have seen that!”

Look close! She's right at the tree line!

She was one badass deer!



No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Larry and I decided to retire and hit the road. We bought a new 5th Wheel and new truck to pull it. We packed up the dogs and we're heading out to check off that bucket list. We wake up every morning and "Thank Our Lucky Stars" that we get to do this.